Monday, April 15, 2013

Fremont Sunday Market


Seattle's street or farmer's markets were an aspect of this city that I was looking forward to seeing. So it was a real pleasure when I visited the Fremont Sunday Market and had a good time looking around.

Fremont is just a bit north of downtown Seattle area, and you have to cross a short bridge to get over there. Parking wasn't too bad, but I think I got lucky with a spot nearby. What was really great was warm temps and sunny skies.


The above are shots of street food trucks parked at the end of the festival, offering an eclectic mix of cuisine.

One of the bonuses of the market was the Lake Washington Ship Canal, where you could sit and enjoy your market grub while admiring the scenery. Along this stretch of water and land is the Burke-Gilman trail, which had many bikers, skaters and boarders going by.


The market itself had an assortment of crafts, art, services and food for sale. Here you can see a person selling hula hoops, which was fun because there were "try-out" ones on the sidewalk that were fun to use.

Painted records anyone?



I
f shiny new things aren't for you then you could head indoors to a flea-market type area, where antiques and "nice junk" were for sale. I picked up some pins and the "iron" from Monopoly. It was a charming place to shop and fun to pick up and touch all the strange knick-knacks.



After enjoying the indoor flea-market I walked along the Burke-Gilman trail and enjoyed the large bridge and nearby scenery. They say a troll lives under the Fremont bridge...hmmm...


Apparently, Fremont is also famous for having random statues around town. I don't recall who this is below but in town there is one of Stalin.



I became really fascinated by the houseboats along the water. What a fun way to live, except in stormy weather.


I have a feeling I'll be back in Fremont to check out more of the town and see what's new at the Sunday Market. :)

2 comments:

  1. What's it like to walk around outside without 10,000 Koreans crowding around you at the same time? My husband and I are headed to Calgary in August, (I've been in Korea for 4 years and he's been here his whole life!), so I'm really looking forward to the (relative) peace and quiet in public, compared to sightseeing here. Are you feeling the effects of culture shock, or are you too busy with school so you don't have time for it? At any rate, it's nice to read your American blog. I really enjoyed your Korean adventures. Good luck with school. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels really good to walk around without many Koreans walking around...I mean many people who are Korean...ack. Yes the peace and quiet is so good and is so reliable! I don't really feel much culture shock beyond...oh yea in Korea....blah blah

    ReplyDelete