Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Giving a Presentation at WAESOL in Oct.

A while back I joined the WAESOL organization (Washington state affiliate of Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) and then I thought, "Well what am I going to do with this membership?" So I looked into their meetings and turns out they are having a conference in October. Looking further I noticed they were accepting proposals for presentations.

In this part of their site they had several choices for giving a presentation. Everything from full on lectures to mini ones. I chose one of the smaller ones called "Teacher Tips!" and submitted a proposal:

"Incorporating math as a subject in language learning can be fun and rewarding. This session will show some engaging math topics and exercises that can be incorporated into your lessons."

Obviously I chose to talk about math in ESL, because it's what I taught back in Korea for the last 2 years. So I felt like I would be able to talk about it and also share something useful. However, I didn't really think my proposal would go through, considering it's not a strict ESL topic. So I was surprised to read the email that said I was accepted and I'm now working on putting together the presentation.

In my presentation I am going to make sure I explain key reasons why math would be good for ESL learners and also share some of the projects I did with my students. All the while I want to make sure I show that the point to using math as a subject in ESL is to get students to use English in creative and new ways.

I don't know how many people will show up to my presentation, which will be just 20 to 25 minutes. It's the kind of conference where there are many presentations going on and you can pick and choose what to go and see. However, I am pleased to be doing this for many reasons most of which are that I get to tack it on my resume. Hurrah!

2 comments:

  1. Presenting is fun! I presented at the Central Florida TESOL conference last fall, and was included by video in a presentation at the Sunshine State TESOL conference this summer. I don't know what the non-native speaker population in WA is like, but as I'm sure you know, it's huge in FL. As such, all of our public school teachers are required to get an "ESOL Endorsement" no matter what subject they teach, including math. I hope you'll post the content of your presentation on your blog once you get it put together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'll remember to post up what I create and do. So far have a PPT in the works and very lovely handout of 6 pages. ;p

    I'm looking forward to doing this and also hope to give more lengthy ones in the future.

    ReplyDelete