Thursday, August 21, 2014

A Joy in Vancouver


Last year, you might recall, I went with Ian to Vancouver, BC to celebrate my birthday. However, when we went the weather was cold and wet. We didn't really get out and explore much and I felt like the whole time I was just trying to figure out how to get around. Ian and I always said that we would go back and so we finally made true on that promise and went there for 4 days this past weekend.

This time instead of driving we took Amtrak, which meant I didn't have to drive and instead got to enjoy the ride and see the vast countryside that is Washington State.








Arriving into Vancouver you get off the train and they check your passport and you answer a few questions. For our stay this time, instead of shacking it at a hostel we went for an Airbnb in the downtown region of the "West Side" or near Robson Street.

We stayed in this high rise and it was a good accommodation with our own bathroom, but it felt like at times the owners didn't really want guests but were tolerating it to save money. Yet all in all it was a comfy place to stay in a good location.

I think most of what I did in Vancouver was eat. I made several observations while I visited and one of them is that Vancouver is a lot like Seoul. There are large buildings everywhere, people out and about on the streets and generally just felt like a metropolitan city. Seattle still feels like a smaller city to me, but in some ways I can sit back and relax at that realisation.



We mostly rested our first day in, but the next day rented some bicycles and took a ride around Stanley Park. This was a lot of fun and provided us with some great views around the city and nearby.
















As you can see it was quite a bike ride, maybe 4 miles? But you get to stop along the way and check out the view and even find little concession stands here and there. Looking back I would say my favorite part of the trip was biking Stanley Park because I just felt so free and could look off into the scenery and know I was someplace else.

But of course the rest of the trip was still fun. The next day before Ian woke up I went out and grabbed a little breakfast sandwich then sat at a nearby park and enjoyed the morning time. The clouds were clearing away, revealing the mountains in the background.









I met up with Ian and we went to Granville Island which is kind of like Seattle's Pike Place Market, but with more walking and shops to check out. I enjoyed going into the shops and finding little treasures here and there. I found one stationary shop that was really awesome and I wanted to buy everything but of course just took back a few things.






I also treated myself to a new necklace...something to add to my work outfit when I go to work again.

After Granville Island we walked over to a Phillipino Food shop called "Goldilocks" where Ian picked up some of his favorite treats. On the way there was some graffiti and a "100" sculpture in this park.





Our last day in Vancouver we tried going to "Main Street" but turns out we didn't really find anything special. There were some thrift stores that I checked out and enjoyed but overall we spent a lot of time getting brunch at Medina Cafe. This was a very popular restaurant with a long wait for not just a table but also your food. However, what we ordered was very delicious. One thing I realised is that practically all the waitresses in every restaurant we went to in downtown Vancouver were wearing black dresses.

The ride back to Seattle was quiet and peaceful with some lovely views before the sun went down. Riding back I put on my iPod and listened to music. I was kind of whisked away by how the train would light up the ground as it went by. It felt like some kind of movie. Then it also was interesting as houses would come into view surrounded by darkness. It made me miss being in the countryside and away from the city life.





I managed to take back home with me an aromatherapy diffuser and some oils...maybe I'm getting back into my old hippy days - minus the pot. ;) Anyways, Vancouver was a lot of fun and it helped clear my head from all the school work and routine that life brings us. Nowadays I'm just doing what I can during my break and looking ahead to what's next. In September I'll be subbing for 3 whole weeks and with a full schedule. I am looking forward to this but also nervous at the same time as I know it will be a bit hectic. But need to bring in some extra cash as I enter the Fall quarter.

It's still warm here in Seattle, yet it does feel like summer is winding down. Time to prepare for the fall and all that is in between.



No comments:

Post a Comment