Saturday, October 4, 2014

Where I'm From Poem...

For my Multi-cultural perspectives class part of our first assignment is to write a "Where I'm From..." Poem inspired by George Ella Lyon's creation as seen here.

The following is my own "Where I'm From..." creation. Forgive me if it comes off a bit choppy, this first week of the quarter has been somewhat of a whopper.



Where I’m From…



I am from dreams.
From Pthalo Blue and Alizarin Crimson
I am from tall ceilings and cement floors. Unpainted walls and spiders.
It sounded like frogs croaking and lightening crackling through the sky.
I am from the Atlantic waters, the yellow sand, coarse and glittering.
I am from the birdie ball for Xmas and the pursuit of spirituality, from Carole, David, Jon and Puja.
I’m from the fighting and frustration.
From the “God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” And “Quiet thoughts”.
I’m from the waiting room of a church playing pogs with my brother on a Friday night.
I’m from Florida, California, South Korea and Seattle, tofu spinach pie and matza ball soup.

I am from the dreams of my mother and father transformed through the colors of pigment on paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment